Vegan Gluten Free Sugar Free Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
This recipe was inspired by SkyyJohn’s love of Strawberry Shortcake. And he is a vegetarian/vegan. WIN!
Vegan, Gluten Free, Sugar Free Shortcakes / Biscuits Recipe
2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free biscuit mix (or Self Rising flour the gluten version)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
5 tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup Coconut milk (if canned, refrigerate to separate milk from cream)
1 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
optional sugar: ½ tablespoon agave nectar
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Whisk together gluten free flour mix and cinnamon.
3. Using fingers, or pastry blender work coconut oil through the dry ingredients until there are no chunks of coconut oil left.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut milk, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and stir until mixed using a fork.
5. Roll (or pat) out the dough on a floured surface until about 1″ thick.
6. Cut out into ~3″ circles – I just used a glass. It should make 8 shortcakes. Though in the video, I just make one large shortcake equivalent to about 4 small ones.
7. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for about 12 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack.
Vegan, Gluten Free, Sugar Free Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Shortcakes, biscuits, or scones
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 pound fresh sweet strawberries
2 cans of Coconut Milk (refrigerated to separate cream from milk)
optional sugar: ¼ tablespoon agave nectar
1. Carefully open cans of coconut milk and skim off the white coconut cream. Set the coconut milk.
2. Whisk the coconut cream and nutmeg until it holds peaks and is fluffy. Place in fridge until ready to use.
3. After the shortcakes are cooled, cut in half.
4. At this point you can neatly slice the strawberries or mash them with a fork to extract more juice.
5. On the bottom half, spread a dollop of coconut cream. Pile on strawberries and another dollop of coconut cream. Place the top half on the cream to create a sandwich. Add more cream and strawberries on top.
Thank you SkyyJohn for inspiring this Strawberry Shortcake Recipe and for the T-shirt.
And remember Sweet V’s, T-shirts are available at http://skyyjohn.spreadshirt.com
This recipe was adapted from Without Adornment http://withoutadornment.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/vegan-gluten-free-strawberry-shortcake-gahigf/