Oh Golden Delicious Apples!
I stare at my Golden Delicious Apple, bruised and browned from a week of travel, and I am calm.
The original post I thought of writing, “Stupid Shit People Say to the Bereaved Family” from “how are you holding up?” to “he ain’t mad is he?” But I will reserve that post for later or my personal amusement.
I left Michigan last Tuesday with three Golden Delicious Apples, my fat Corgi puppy, and my black funeral attire. I really packed more than that in my little blue focus, but as I thought of the lone traveler with stick-handkerchief luggage, those are the items I would bring.
One apple was devoured on the 11 hour Michigan-Georgia leg of the trip. The other Golden Delicious beauty was gobbled up during the 11 hour Georgia-Florida leg of the journey. Now with no Corgi, and half a lone Golden Delicious Apple, I am left with my black funeral clothes.
Back to “Stupid Shit People Say to the Bereaved Family,” I should also write post “Food People Bring the Bereaved Family.” Whenever a box comes in the door, there is a 50% chance it is fried chicken and soda, a 25% chance it is really good homemade food, a 25% chance it is really bad homemade food, and a 0% chance it is vegan.
I want nothing more than for someone to bring a bag of fresh Golden Delicious Apples. Do not send me your condolences, ask me any stupid questions, or stay at my house all day and night. Just bring me some damn apples, and not the hard red ones either.
But now I sit with my last Golden Delicious Apple. Crisp, yet juicy. Filling the air with a sweet freshness. Only to be adulterated by the fact that I am being dragged to the mall to shop for funeral accessories with my father and sister. I really could care less about finding sapphire earrings that matches a blue hat, it is a funeral.
But for now I enjoy the life and death of this Golden Delicious Apple.